Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Recipe: Roasted Salsa


Salsa...I love it..and I love all kinds: 
Pico de Gallo: fresh, raw with plenty of onions, jalapenos and tomatoes; 
all chopped up and mixed together.
Tomatillo: bright and citrusy with lots of cilantro and a beautiful shade of green...
And in a pinch, I will even take most jarred kinds because there is just something so good about a scoop of salsa on a corn tortilla chip that makes my eyes go wide and has me coming back for more.  
I am just hooked on the stuff.

My favorite kind, though, really-hands down, is the roasted kind...can be smoother or kind of chunky, but it has specks and bits of charred tomatoes, onions, etc that just give the whole thing a nice smokey, rich flavor...its super easy to make and I highly recommend it!!






Start with a random amount of ingredients...can be anything really, but this is what I usually stick to:

Tomatoes
Onions
Peppers
Jalapenos
Garlic


I went with orange and yellow peppers to mix up the color palette this time--this made for a less red/more orange salsa.  If you use red peppers, it will be, um, more red.




Toss with or pour over everything olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Broil, turning every 10 minutes for 25-30 minutes...or until it all looks like this:









Then, I take this beautiful mess, dump it all in a food processor and add:

-Chunks of fresh tomato--to add a little fresh flavor
-1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro (or more)
-2 or 3 teaspoons of both Oregano and Cumin (or more)
Juice of one or two limes (or you can use white vinegar)
More salt and pepper



Pulse for chunky texture or go to town for a more blended salsa...and that's it!
You've got home-made deliciousness that I guarantee will make you sing!!

Great over eggs or can top anything, really...we are big into black bean bowls lately:
Into a bowl goes: corn tortilla chips, black beans, lettuce, cheddar cheese & topped with salsa.  
Nice, fast weeknight meal.

This salsa is really, really good and you can make it different every time, if you like or stick to the same ratio and same flavor.  







And...it gets even better after a couple days.




No comments:

Post a Comment