Monday, July 25, 2011

Farmer's Market



One of the best things about going to the farmer's market is that you just never know what you are going to end up with...I mean, you might have an idea--or you may even have an agenda...but kind of when you get there you (or, I, at least...) gravitate to what catches your eye; what looks the prettiest, the freshest and what you couldn't stand to do without... Last week, what looked especially nice to me was: the peaches, the baby red potatoes, the haricot verts and the squash blossoms...




I felt fairly confident in my ability to make a peach pie (which turned out really well!) and one of my favorite summer-time salads is one with potatos dressed with olive oil, champagne vinegar, a little chicken stock...fresh herbs and haricot verts...so, I knew we would have something tasty there...

but it was the squash blossoms that I found I could not pass up... Honestly, though, I was a little daunted on what to do with them...I mean, I know that your stuff them with ricotta cheese and fry--but I had never tried that so I was intimated...but then I snapped to it:  how hard...could it be, really??







Turns out: not too hard at all and they are so delectable!  I found my recipe in the July issue of Bon Appetit and a similar recipe can be found here. (Don't skip mixing in mint with the ricotta as the stuffing, it adds an amazing flavor and the ones I made added a bit of lemon zest which was wonderful as well.)  I didn't do the dipping sauce--we just ate them plain and honestly, they were so good...I am kicking myself that it took me so long to get around to trying them!!  Be sure to pick some up the next time you go to your local farmer's market and try it...you will be glad you did!!



No comments:

Post a Comment