Friday, June 3, 2011

Our Garden - Chapter 3


I wanted to give you an update about how our garden is doing...its kind of amazing but we actually pulled our first produce last night!!  Two glorious, beautiful radishes!!  We are so proud...we are beaming, actually....
things are really starting to take off and GROW.  When I find myself cursing the humidity, I think about the garden and how well its doing...I still curse, but I realize some things do thrive in this sweaty, sticky heat--even if it isn't us...










Below is the rig we set up to grow the tomatoes, cucumbers and green beans.  Its a total experiment--but so far, so good...this is how it looked around mid- May.  The plants should (and for the most part are) growing upwards as we help them along by twisting them around the twine.  Uncle Michael and Uncle Brian came out for a visit a few weeks ago and helped plant the last of the seeds/seedlings too...so, the planting is done.






And NOW,  its all about the waiting...the watching...the weeding and the watering...


This shot was taken on Sunday, May 15, 2011.














This shot was taken 2 weeks later on June 1, 2011.













well, the watering and the mudding....











The good news is, it appears that we are going to have LOADS of tomatoes...
which hopefully means LOADS of canning...am so excited!!









 I love how watchful and protective the kids are over the garden...All of us give a close inspection after dinner in the evening or first thing in the morning--its become our daily ritual.  But the kids are really into    watching the plants grown and its fun to watch them crouch down, point and look at everything that is going on...plus they like to pull weeds!!

But the best part of all of this, is that it feels like we have a little bit of a country farm in our backyard--which is so wonderful to me...that and the fresh fruits and veggies!
  
All we need now is a chicken coop and some laying hens!  Oh! if we were just a little bit further from the neighbors, (city regulations) we could!!  I would so love that!












Until we can have chickens, I'll happily take the garden...we all love having it so much!  
And tonight, I am going to try the simple French way of eating radishes with butter and salt.  

I'll let you know how that goes...



June 1, 2011








3 comments:

  1. Your garden looks great! An inspiration as I head out to work in mine (here in the upper, upper northern plains we have to wait a long time to start).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much!! We started really early this year and I have never been this far along so I am excited...have fun in yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous positive and uplifting post. So nice for me to visit from the depths of our winter and our garden almost at a standstill.

    ReplyDelete