Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Cocktail: Sherry Spritzers








Have I got a summer-time drink for you!!  For your next get-together, hand your guests one of these sparkling refreshments and I guarantee they will be delighted!  I know I was when I first tried it...I love trying new things and this aperitif/cocktail will definitely be a summer star!! 


Looking around on the internet, I am finding this lovely has a few names: a sherry spritzer is one. a REBUJITO--the other, it's what they are called in Spain--I am curious: would love if any of our Spanish friends would post a comment and let us know their thoughts on this Spanish drink...just so you know: Sherry is a fortified wine made from white grapes that are grown near the town of JerezSpain. In Spanish, it is called vino de Jerez.

These are great cocktails for guests when they first arrive and go perfectly with olives or small appetizing bites.  To start, grab a bottle of Spanish Sherry.  I don't really know Spanish Sherries but the recipe I came across called for Fino or Manzanilla.  (Fino means Fine-this refers to the paler, dryer types of sherry.  Manzanilla is an especially light variety of fino Sherry made around the port of Sanlúcar de Barrameda)....I think all you need to keep in mind is that whatever you get should be a dry sherry not a cooking or dessert sherry.  I chose this lovely $10 bottle of Savory & James (practically with eyes closed) from the shelves of my liquor store.  It worked just fine...






REBUJITO
(a sherry spritzer--serves four)

Bottle of Sherry--look for dry FINO or MANZANILLA type
lemon, cut 4 thin slices
orange, cut 4 thin slices
natural lemon-lime soda
ice

Take four tumbler type glasses.  
Add ice; mix in half glass full of sherry and half glass full of soda.
Stir.
Garnish with orange & lemon slices.
Hand to guests and watch them smile wide...










Really wide....








No comments:

Post a Comment