Thursday, March 3, 2011

Random: Il Volo--The Flight

Ok, this post isn't crafty, but its definitely falls into the realm of art...
I am kind of crazy about opera; I love it actually. Maybe its because I spent a college semester studying Italian in Florence and I heard it everywhere--literally. I rented a small, not-so-great basement apartment and I would eat my humble pasta dinner on my little balcony that faced into this wonderful, expansive court yard...mine and three other apt buildings formed this square, internal space where kids would play and gardens would grow. The laundry dried from lines that crisscrossed the open space above and mamas called out every so often to their kids playing down below. Neighbors would have lengthy exchanges balcony to balcony and eavesdropping became a great way to practice my language skills. Every night, almost on cue, as the sun would start to set...someone would play a work of opera, full volume, and the glorious music would fill the courtyard, echoing off the building walls (that actually offered some amazing acoustics) and it was like my own private concert. I don't know if it was one designated person or the djs took turns but it was perfect for this american studentessa, sipping her chianti, eating her pasta, basking in the glow. It was amazing. Now, I can hear the same pieces of music over and over and it still gives me chills...

So, I was thrilled when I heard these guys...You have to check out the video below, if even if you don't like opera one bit; you will be impressed! The cutie with the glasses is 17 and the other two sweethearts are 16. Their trio is called Il Volo which in english means the flight. And this is from their first American performance...


If you want to know about them, go here.




If you are interested in hearing some more opera but don't know where to start, here are some of the pieces that I especially love:

The Flower Duet (Lakmé), Léo Delibes




O Mio Bambino Caro, Kiri te Kanawa





Una Furtiva Lagrima, Enrico Caruso


I know lots more so if you are interested in hearing additional selections, just let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment