Wednesday, March 30, 2011

DIY: Terrarium


My botanical theme continues this week with instructions on how to make your own home-made terrarium!  I have always loved the idea of collecting things and creating little worlds in jars and after being inspired by this lovely post by Two Straight Lines and this video, I decided to give it a try...








First, we gathered our supplies: 
a large one gallon glass jar that I found at Target for around $8.
Some brand new potting soil-- its important that its sterile.
Some small rocks --the ehow video called for charcoal and for the life of me, I couldn't find any--so we just added more small rocks.  Its for drainage.
2-3 small plants.  Ok, when I got to home depot, the only small plants I could find were the herbs...so I thought that surely we could make due with chamomile and thyme, right?
Lastly, one scary dinosaur.  (also from Target...)


First, we added the rocks...



Then the dirt and then the plants and then the dinosaur.

Courtney over at Two Straight Lines bought the 2 Gallon jar and I thought, well, I don't really have room for that, so I will go with the small one.  Now, I think it would be nice to have a little bit more room--but it is, after all, just plants in a jar, so I think we are good.  Luca was really happy with it and he kept looking in to check on his dinosaur that he pretended was making ferocious growling roaring sounds--which was fun--for him.  : )


The one tip to making your own terrarium is DON'T OVER WATER.  It's an easy tendency, but its amazing how much condensation is generated with the lid on.  The other thing to remember is do not place in direct sunlight...but only enough light that you could easily read by.  I am definitely going to make another one of these soon--and will fine-tune it.

I really liked creating little worlds--they are very fun to peer into!

No comments:

Post a Comment